Many girls and women face challenges with managing their periods safely. In addition to persisting taboos, women and girls’ capacity to manage their periods is affected by a number of other factors, including limited access to affordable and hygienic sanitary materials and disposal options leaving many to manage their periods in ineffective, uncomfortable and unhygienic ways.
- As per the national family health survey (NFHS) IV:62% young women in the country in the age group 15 to 24 years use cloth for menstrual protection.
- 42% women use sanitary napkins.
- 16% use locally prepared napkins.
- The survey was conducted in the year 2015-2016.
- Majority of women in rural areas did not use a hygienic method of menstrual protection with the survey findings indicating that only 48% of those surveyed in rural India used sanitary napkins during their menstrual cycle as against 78% in urban parts of the country.
- Recently, in order to create awareness about menstrual hygiene. Actor Zareen Khan highlighted the important factors related to menstrual hygiene.
- Many girls participated in the workshop.
Actor Zareen Khan who featured in the movies – ‘Veer’, ‘Housefull 2’, ‘Hate Story 3’ and so on, was invited as the chief guest for the one-day state level awareness workshop, which is an effort by the state government to create awareness about menstrual hygiene in Chhattisgarh.
“I am humbled to be invited for such an important cause. It is a great initiative taken by the government and I am more than happy to create awareness through my speech. Thanks to Akshay Kumar who showcased the cause so beautifully through his film ‘PadMan’”, said Zareen said in a statement.