“I have understood how negligence towards one’s health can have negative consequences. I have had a first-hand experience of it. I felt that my life had ended. But, timely diagnosis and treatment helped save my life. Therefore, I have learnt that one should never ignore their health,” says Mohammed Javed, a stroke survivor.
Two months ago on August 10, 2018, Javed, a 38-year-old man, who originally hails from Rajasthan, was visiting Mumbai with his family for an event. When he suddenly suffered a stroke, as he fell unconscious his family immediately rushed him to Bombay Hospital. His life was saved as he was admitted to the hospital within the crucial golden hour.
Recalling what he was feeling when he experienced the stroke, Javed said, “I felt darkness come upon me and I could not see anything with my eyes. It seemed that everything around me was dark. It felt like a part of my body had gone completely numb. I couldn’t even walk. I had no idea what was happening to me at the time. I thought that I was going to die. I suddenly fell unconscious and I don’t remember anything after that.”
His family members were shocked and unaware about what happened to him. But, fortunately they had the presence of mind to immediately rush him to a hospital. Javed family reached Bombay Hospital in Marine Lines, Mumbai.
After he was admitted to the hospital, doctors informed Javed’s family members that he has suffered from an ischaemic stroke which was caused due to a blood clot in his brain.
Javed’s father, Awaaz Mohammad said, “My son suddenly fell. He became unconscious. We did not know what happened to him. We thought that became paralysed. We took him to hospital immediately. At the hospital, doctors told us that he has had a stroke.”
Dr Nirmal Surya, who is a neurosurgeon at Bombay Hospital and Dr Sharad Ghatge, a stroke specialist from the same hospital treated Javed.
Along with a team of doctors, Dr Surya and Dr Ghatge performed a surgery upon Javed which helped save him in the nick of time.
Dr Ghatge said, “A blood clot had formed in Javed’s brain. We performed a procedure known as thrombectomy which is an interventional procedure of removing a blood clot (thrombus) from a blood vessel.”
Javed was a heavy smoker and had a history of hypertension (high blood pressure). These are risk factors for the occurrence of a stroke.
Timely treatment within the golden hour helped save his life and prevented him from becoming disabled.
Javed concluded saying, “I used to smoke occasionally. I also suffered from high blood pressure, but, I would avoid taking my medications. Due to my own negligence, I suffered a stroke which could have posed a serious threat to my life. I wouldn’t be here today if I wasn’t treated on time. After having a stroke, I have learnt my lesson. And I no longer take my health for granted.”