While you slave over getting your house, your clothes and your sweets ready, don’t forget to spenda little time making yourself look good. The anticipation of a wonderful festival will bring a glow from within, but you also need to work on the outside.
Dr Sharmila Patil, Consultant Skin Specialist, Fortis Hospital, Mulund has put together some natural tips for glowing skin that you can use to achieve and retain the lovely festival glow.
- It is obvious that one tends to wear a lot of makeup for a longer duration, during this time. Make sure you exfoliate your skin and remove all the make-up before going to bed, daily. Sleeping with your make-up on can harm your skin, as it doesn’t allow the skin to breathe.
- Since the past few years, patients complain of acne (pimples) post Diwali, which can be due to unrestricted consumption of fried food and sweets. Application of cosmetics during the festival and various home-made concoctions may irritate the skin and cause irritant/allergic dermatitis (irritation of skin). Patients with sensitive skin complain of irritation, photosensitivity and worsening of symptoms which can be attributed to the pollution. Make sure to wash your face when you return indoor
- People with dry skin should use good emollients and cleansers instead of using soap over the face. Sunscreen is of utmost importance, followed by usage of a good moisturizer at night.
- For people with oily skin, non-comedogenic (blocking the pores of the skin) cosmetics should be used to avoid break -outs; a salicylic acid-based face wash can be used to clean the face. restrict washing face to not more than 3 times a day.
- Opt for an oil massage to help fight the pollution in the air that will make the hair rough and dry. Also choose your shampoo and conditioner wisely, according to the texture of your hair; this will help keep it nourished and soft.
- As you tend to use a lot of make-up, similarly you tend to style your hair a lot, during Diwali.
- Make sure you do it only when absolutely required and use minimal styling products and heating
- equipment, on your hair.
- One should also wash their hair more frequently than usual. Air pollution and usage of mousse, amongst other styling products, can prove to be harmful to the hair thus causing hair fall, roughness and spilt ends. There are a wide range of hair products especially hair serums, rich in Peptides which not only protect the hair but also nourish them and help in growth.
- Various hair treatments like colouring, straightening etc makes the hair prone to the damage, hence they should be avoided if possible. As our skin needs protection from sun, even hair can be damaged due to heat (frequent hair-styling) and sun, therefore a scarf or umbrella when stepping out in day light should be used.