As India sees rise in new TB cases private sector notifications lag in Maharashtra

Even as the private sector notifications have increased nationally between 2017 and 2018, Maharashtra has recorded lower number of TB notifications from the private practitioners in relation to last year

As India sees rise in new TB cases private sector notifications lag in MaharashtraAccording to Nikshay portal, the national dashboard under the Revised National TB Control Programme (RNTCP), there has been 35% increase in private sector notification nationally– 5.40 lakhs in 2018 as compared to 3.98 lakhs in 2017. Maharashtra, however, recorded a dip of 0.81 %, with 69143 notifications in 2017 and 68539 notifications in 2018. The […]

WorldTBDay: “I latched on to 1% of hope and never gave up”

World TB Day is observed on March 24, My Medical Mantra reached out to a MDR-TB survivor who fought against the dreaded disease for six years. This is her story on how she overcame a difficult battle against TB and conquered it

WorldTBDay: “I latched on to 1% of hope and never gave up”“Doctors had told me that there was a 99 per cent chance that I would die. But I thought that ‘Hope keeps the world afloat,’ and I believed that I could hold on to the hope of surviving on 1 per cent. I fought against TB for six years, and overcame it on that 1 […]

President Kovind addresses the nation on eve of World TB Day

World Tuberculosis Day, observed on 24 March each year, is designed to build public awareness about the global epidemic of tuberculosis and efforts to eliminate the disease

President Kovind addresses the nation on eve of World TB DayThe President of India, Ram Nath Kovind, in his message on the eve of World Tuberculosis Day, which is observed every year on March 24, has said. “I am happy to note that World Tuberculosis Day is observed every year on March 24, to commemorate the anniversary of Dr Robert Koch’s discovery of the Tuberculosis (TB) […]

World TB Day: ‘Surgery can also be an option for curing TB’

Surgery is the only option if the patient is not cured even by having a drug in a MDR TB. However, many doctors do not even know about TB patients being treated with surgery. In a talk with My Medical Mantra, Dr Lalit Anande, Chief Medical officer of Sewri TB Hospital, talks about eradication of TB and its early diagnosis  

World TB Day: ‘Surgery can also be an option for curing TB’In India, 4 lakh people die of tuberculosis (TB) every year. 21 lakh new cases come to the fore each year. 20,000 Crores of rupees were spent in India due to TB. The Prime Minister sent notice to all the chief ministers of the state to focus on TB. Question: If we say that the […]

Zimbabwe teacher suffering from TB since 9 years, cured by Mumbai docs

Doctors from Wockhardt Hospital in Mumbai successfully managed to treat a 41-year-old man suffering from tuberculosis (TB). As treatment options were bleak in his home country, he made a decision to travel to India to seek treatment

Zimbabwe teacher suffering from TB since 9 years, cured by Mumbai docsDumisani Msimanga, a 41-year-old school teacher from Zimbabwe had severe pain and foul smelling pus pouring out of his chest into a bag that was connected to it since six months. In 2017, he approached a local doctor in his country with left sided chest pain. His X-ray showed there was fluid collection in his […]

World TB Day: BMC to organise walkathon for ‘TB-Free Mumbai’

The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) has kick-started its TB free initiative, as part of this initiative several programmes will be organised across the city. It will also illuminate its landmark building in red for a week to raise awareness about the disease. The World Health Organization (WHO) declares a theme on world TB Day each year. This year theme is ‘Wanted: Leaders for a TB free world’

World TB Day: BMC to organise walkathon for ‘TB-Free Mumbai’TB Scenario in Mumbai: In 2017, total 45,675 drug sensitive TB patients were notified from both public and private sector in Mumbai. Due to improved awareness and private sector notification efforts, case detection has improved. In 2017, 4,891 new multi-drug resistant TB patients and 670 XDR patients were registered. This is a result of increase […]

World TB Day: N-TB nutritional assessment app to be launched soon

The N-TB is the first of its kind app for healthcare providers. It enables the classification of the nutritional status of the patient by calculating the body mass index (BMI). If the BMI is very low, it red-flags it and provides an overview of management of severe under nutrition

World TB Day: N-TB nutritional assessment app to be launched soonOn World TB Day (24 March), the Center for Nutrition Studies, Yenepoya University, Mangalore in association with McGill International TB Centre, Montreal will release N-TB app, an android mobile based application for the nutritional assessment and counselling of adult patients with tuberculosis (TB). This app, endorsed by the Revised National Tuberculosis Control Programme and WHO […]