Repeated use of kitchen towels can cause food poisoning

Frequent usage of kitchen towels could be putting families at risk of food poisoning, according to new research. Bacterial build-up was measured on 100 towels over the course of a month during an experiment by scientists at the University of Mauritius. Researchers found bacteria growth on 49 towels, with more than a third testing positive for coliforms, the group of species of which E.coli is a member

Repeated use of kitchen towels can cause food poisoningMulti-use of kitchen towels is putting households at risk of food poisoning, research suggests. Scientists from the University of Mauritius examined 100 towels that had been used for a month. They found E.coli was more likely to be found on towels used for multiple jobs, such as wiping utensils and cleaning surfaces, as well as […]

What is fried rice syndrome? Here’s what you need to know about it

Bacillus cereus is a toxin-producing bacterium that is one of the most common causes of food poisoning, also called ‘fried rice syndrome.’ Starchy foods, such as rice, are the most common types of food affected

What is fried rice syndrome? Here’s what you need to know about itAn estimated 63,000 cases of food poisoning caused by B. cereus occur each year within the U.S., according to a 2019 article published in the journal Frontiers in Microbiology. However, the vast majority of cases go unreported, because the symptoms are generally mild and subside on their own with rest and hydration. Leftover fried rice […]

Does washing raw poultry lead to sickness? Health experts weigh in

One food safety tip that seems to be disregarded time and again by cooks and housewives is the admonition not to wash raw chicken under the tap or faucet to clean it

Does washing raw poultry lead to sickness? Health experts weigh inWhy? Because washing raw chicken before cooking can increase the risk of food poisoning from campylobacter and salmonella bacteria. Water splashing inside a kitchen from washing raw chicken carries these bacteria in all directions. Washing chicken will spread these bacteria onto hands, work surfaces, clothing, plates, knives, forks, spoons and cooking utensils. Water droplets can […]

‘Don’t wash your raw chicken,’ warn health experts

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in the United States have issued a warning against washing raw chicken before cooking. They warn of the risk of spreading harmful bacteria to other food or utensils and developing food poisoning at home

‘Don’t wash your raw chicken,’ warn health expertsThe CDC estimates that approximately a million people become ill after eating contaminated poultry. According to the CDC, this is because “Chicken juices can spread in the kitchen and contaminate other foods, utensils and countertops,” and many people are unnecessarily increasing their risk of illness by not following simple preventative hygiene steps. They warn that […]

Know and spot stomach bug in your child

Dr Sonali Gautam, a Consultant Gastroenterologist, Hiranandani Hospital, Vashi, and Dr Jesal Sheth, a Consultant Neonatologist & Paediatric Intensivist, Fortis Hospital, Mulund, share how to spot a stomach bug in your child and how to treat it

Know and spot stomach bug in your childToddlers are notoriously known for being fussy eaters and often refuse to eat. Often, they find a way to nibble on certain foods items that could be raw, unclean, and undercooked. Sometimes the gastrointestinal tract of a child is not fully developed to resist certain bacteria present in food. It is easy for them to […]

Know about summer health problems and prevention

Dr Amit Gupte, a Consultant Gastroenterologist, Wockhardt Hospitals, shares his insights about the health problems occurring in summer and its prevention

Know about summer health problems and preventionWhile summer is quite harsh in most parts of our country, it is a season that many rejoice as it brings along freedom from exams, long holidays, and mangoes! It is also a time when people avoid staying indoors, especially, during evening-time, to beat the sweltering heat. However, we should be aware that summer activities […]

Five roadside food items you must avoid during summer

Managing summer heat does not just mean what to eat but also what not to eat, which is equally important for one to know. To take care of yourself and prevent your body from being affected from various health problems, one must avoid consuming the following roadside food items during the summer

Five roadside food items you must avoid during summerWhile the summer is getting warmer day by day, people are getting more lethargic, and thus, some people avoid preparing food at home and tend to eat more outside food. That might not only affect the body but could also cause other health related problems in the long run. Therefore, managing summer heat does not […]

When should you throw away your leftovers?

Leftovers can be kept for three to four days in the refrigerator. Be sure to eat them within that time. After that, the risk of food poisoning increases. If you don’t think you'll be able to eat leftovers within four days, freeze them immediately

When should you throw away your leftovers?Refrigeration is the most important invention in the history of food. But while commercial and home refrigerators have only been used for the past 100 years or so, people have long used cool natural environments to store foods for extended periods. Temperature is important for controlling microbial growth. Just as we find food wholesome, bacteria […]

Nine BMC officers admitted to JJ Hospital over suspected food poisoning

Around eight BMC officers and workers were admitted to Mumbai’s JJ Hospital today evening. They are suspected to be suffering from severe food poisoning

Nine BMC officers admitted to JJ Hospital over suspected food poisoningThe BMC officers worked at BMC’s B ward main office in Dongri, Mumbai. From the eight officers, four of them are female. One is critical and has been put on oxygen. While the remaining employees are now stable. While speaking to My Medical Mantra, Dr Sanjay Surase, Medical Superintendent at JJ Hospital stated, “Around an […]

Father-of-three left paralysed from nose down after eating roadside chicken curry

The 40-year-old man was left fighting for his life in an induced coma a couple of days after eating a chicken curry. David Braham became unwell with food poisoning while watching his son play rugby after the dodgy meal

Father-of-three left paralysed from nose down after eating roadside chicken curryThe food poisoning unexpectedly brought on a rare autoimmune disorder called Guillian-Barré Syndrome. David was left paralysed from the face down, unable to talk and breathe while on a ventilator for four months. He has finally learnt to walk on his own eight months after the Chinese curry nearly cost him his life. The former […]