Mumbai: Doctors remove custard apple seed lodged in infant’s windpipe

Ovi was brought to Mumbai’s civic-run KEM hospital on Thursday. The doctors removed the seed with the help of telescope and attached forceps, which is the latest technology

Mumbai: Doctors remove custard apple seed lodged in infant’s windpipeA one-and-half-year-old girl Ovi, hailing from Virar, Maharashtra, had accidentally swallowed a custard apple seed. The girl was rushed to Mumbai’s civic-run KEM Hospital by her parents on Thursday morning. The seed got stuck in her left windpipe, due to which her left lung had collapsed. The doctors managed to remove the seed with the […]

Accidents just happen, do they?

Dr Mohammed Shakeel, HOD-Emergency and Trauma, Fortis Hospital, Kalyan, shares how little, unattended things can lead to some serious mishaps, how to prevent them? And how and what to do during such instances

Accidents just happen, do they?Accidents are the main reason for injuries and sometimes death amongst the children. As a fact, the place, that people feel the safest, their house, hide various hazards; the prime cause is sheer negligence. A minor distraction can lead to some serious injuries, many accidents, that happen in and around the home can be avoided. […]

Monsoon: Emergency aid every parent should be prepared for

Since monsoon has started to pour early this year it is important for each one of us to be prepared in tackling emergencies, especially when children are involved. Read and remember these measures well, as they can be utilised when medical emergencies strike

Monsoon: Emergency aid every parent should be prepared forAt most times, parents and immediate caregivers are the first responders when their child faces an emergency; medical aid and ambulatory services come second. It is therefore important that the parents be prepared for and be aware of want to tackle emergencies such as bleeding, fits, choking, burns, bleeding nose and diarrhoea. Bleeding: Lay the baby […]

How to prevent choking: The safe and easy way

The Heimlich manoeuvre works by creating an artificial cough. By pushing on the diaphragm, the manoeuvre forces air out of the lungs and up through the throat, forcing a trapped object out

How to prevent choking: The safe and easy wayIn 1972, a doctor from Cincinnati read a story about choking. At the time, choking was the sixth leading cause of accidental death. These statistics inspired the doctor to devise a simple way to prevent these deaths from happening. The procedure became known as the Heimlich manoeuvre. The Heimlich manoeuvre works by creating an artificial […]

Can eating pani puri be life-threatening?

There are few things in life that can give us same feeling of satisfaction as a plate of pani puris. The way this delicacy melts in our mouth and teases our senses is just heavenly. But, this wasn’t the same in case of a 46-year-old truck driver from Kanpur, who reportedly lost his life as the puri got stuck between his foodpipe and windpipe

Can eating pani puri be life-threatening?Right from children to adults, everyone enjoy eating pani puri. But, according to a shocking report, few days ago, Naresh Sachan, a 46-year-old truck driver from Kanpur’s Ghatampur, died because of eating pani puri in a wrong way. Further, the report said that according to doctors, the puri got stuck between his foodpipe and wind […]

Doctors successfully remove a safety pin from 11-month-old’s oesophagus

A baby girl accidentally managed to swallow a safety pin. Doctors at Wockhardt Hospital successfully remove the pin after performing an endoscopy on her. Doctors share advice regarding what parents should do during such situations

Doctors successfully remove a safety pin from 11-month-old’s oesophagusLast week, an 11-month-old girl Sanvehi Shinde (name changed) from Bhayandar was rushed to a hospital after she accidently managed to swallow a safety pin. While playing at home, the girl got her hand on a safety pin lying beside her and swallowed it. And this safety pin got stuck in her oesophagus and she […]

Why snoring can be harmful to your health

Snoring may disrupt your sleep, or that of your partner. Even if it’s not bothering you too much, it’s not a condition to ignore. In fact, snoring may be a sign of a serious health condition

Why snoring can be harmful to your healthIf you snore, you’re not alone. It happens when air flows through your throat when you breathe in your sleep. This causes the relaxed tissues in your throat to vibrate and cause harsh, irritating snoring sound. It can also cause obstructive sleep apnoea (blocked airways), obesity and sleep deprivation. Moreover, children who are obese tend to […]

In a rare case, mouth-freshener lands Mumbai’s octogenarian in hospital

Madanlal Chordia complained of breathlessness and cough after he accidentally swallowed a betel nut (supari) at his granddaughter’s wedding. However, with timely treatment, his life was saved

In a rare case, mouth-freshener lands Mumbai’s octogenarian in hospitalMadanlal Chordia (82), an octogenarian form Mumbai had a very close call of his life. What, he thought a common old age breathlessness, turned out to be a very serious health issue. Ghatkopar resident Chordia was shocked when his doctor told him that his breathlessness was due to a piece of supari (betel nut, also […]