When we ponder about the factors that contribute to our overall performance at work, we do not give much consideration to food. Life at the office can be hectic, with no signs of stopping or slowing down. It leads to an increase in stress levels, development of unhealthy lifestyle habits, and irregular eating patterns. Most days, our work starts on a healthy note, and we have a balanced lunch, but by mid-afternoon, boredom, or having too much work leads to unplanned snack attacks! Sometimes, tight deadlines, overlapping meetings, and other work commitments force us to skip or delay our snack or meal time, that’s not helpful either.
Stress eating is a big concern amongst the officegoers; stress and anxiety-induced hunger can have long-term consequences for your waistline. Making simple and smart food choices throughout your workday can help boost your creativity and productivity while reducing fatigue and minimizing the stress. Here are a few things you can keep in mind to help you power through your workday:
- Don’t skip your breakfast
- Avoid sugary snacks at the workplace
- Stay hydrated, consume plenty of water
- Stay away from sugar-laden and caffeine-rich drinks
- Carry home-made nourishing lunch, don’t skip lunch break
- Assign a ‘lunch buddy’
Here are some healthy snack ideas to keep you satiated before and after lunch. These homemade snack boxes can be taken into meetings, so you don’t starve yourself till lunch time.
- Roasted Chana
- Nuts Almonds, Walnuts & Raisins
- Sprout chaat made using Moong or Matki (Math Beans)
- Boiled corn with some boiled peanuts, seasoned with salt and pepper
- Combination of steamed veggies like Broccoli, Baby Corn, and Zucchini
- Salads with vegetables and fruits
- Roasted Makhana (Lotus seeds)
- Puffed rice bhel with lots of vegetables
- Fruit smoothie
- Muthias made with Dudhi (Bottle Gourd)/ Methi (Fenugreek)
- Dhoklas made with Kutti ka Daro (Buckwheat)
- Theplas with curd
So, if you do get stressed out at work and reach out for the snack box, these healthy and nutritious snacking options will fuel you up for the rest of the day!