State government has initiated a massive organ donation campaign to create awareness regarding organ donation amongst people. The campaign will be implemented across the state from August 29 to August 30. The state government has also issued a circular regarding the same.
Organ donation campaign 2017:
- On August 29, all the gram panchayats should take a meeting and pledge for organ donation
- On August 30, make rangoli in front of the house to create awareness regarding organ donation
- Schools should organise rangoli, essay, elocution competition and workshops on organ donation from August 18 to 28
- Police should make people understand the importance of organ donation in the peace committee meetings.
- The public health department should take competitions of organ donation during Ganeshotsav
- Organise workshops and other programs in Maharashtra Health Sciences University’s seminar
- BJ Medical College should organise street plays for organ donation awareness with FTII. And the two selected street play’s will be presented during the inauguration of massive organ donation campaign
- Medical education directors should organise a program on August 29 in Mumbai including all religious priests, social workers and the donor’s family
In Maharashtra, still, people are ignorant about organ donation. Families of a brain dead person still do not come forward and donate organs.
Speaking to My Medical Mantra about the organ donation campaign, Girish Mahajan, Maharashtra medical education minister said, “Every household should know the importance of organ donation. For which, government has initiated this campaign. There is a lack of awareness in the society regarding organ donation. But organ donation can save many lives. This campaign will be implemented on every level across the state.”
In state, till now, 80 organs have been donated, which is lesser in compared to the other states. In the country, nearly 5 lakh recipients are awaiting organ donation.
Organ has no religion. So with the noble thought of helping recipients to get a new lease of life, the massive organ donation campaign will be implemented across the state.