As per government figures,
- Per day, stray dogs bite around 1, 40,000 people across India.
- As many as 20,000 people die due to the stray dog bites
- In Maharashtra – 7,777 cases of stray dog bites are reported each day
Do you own a dog? If you answer is yes, then, be ready to shell Rs 5,000. Yes, you have heard it right. Now dog lovers who own a dog in Sangli, Maharashtra, will have to pay Rs 5,000 to their municipal corporation.
The menace of the stray dogs, has led to many deaths in the past. In order, to curb the menace, the Sangli Municipal Corporation, has mulled a proposal to charge fees from the dog owners.
While speaking to My Medical Mantra, Sangli Mayor Harun Shhikalgar said, “Day-by-day the stray dog menace in Sangli is increasing. Stray dogs which wandering the streets are posing a risk to the people. So, in order to know – who owns a dog and which dogs are strays. We have mulled a proposal in the general body meeting. As per the proposal, anyone whom owns a dog has to pay Rs 5,000 to the municipal corporation.”
He further said, “The proposal will come in front of the general body for discussion on April 20. After taking the due consideration we will take final decision.”
Cases of dog bites in Maharashtra:
- March 2015 to Feb 2016 – 80,000 cases
- March 2016 to Feb 2017 – 82,500 cases
- March 2017 to Feb 2018 – 1,09,500 cases