Tring!!! Tring!!! As the recess bell rings in the school, the school children starts thinking of what their mothers would have packed for their breakfast. Nowadays, the life is so hectic that busy mothers would pack either some convenient items like wafers, chips, chocolate bars, biscuits, Maggi, fried snacks, or Bread Jam etc.
Think Twice! It’s time to become smart by choosing healthy options over junk foods. In fact, no food is a bad food if cooked, served and eaten wisely. The smart tiffin’s of school going children must carry only healthy options that would improve their academic as well as sports performance, increase their growth and improve their cognitive behaviour.
Smart tiffin’s are nutritious, healthy, easy, fast to prepare and very attractive. The choice of ingredients and recipes can vary depending up on the traditional cuisine of a family. Based on cultural preferences, the recipes should be modified to make nutrient-dense recipe instead of calorie-dense or empty-calories.
However, focus should be on selecting protein-rich foods like nuts, paneer, cheese, soya, yogurt, pulses, eggs, fish and chicken, including all food groups will adequately provide calcium, iron and other micro nutrients.
Few smart suggestions:
- Add milk or dal water while making dough for making paratha or wraps.
- Make creative shapes and add colour to paratha by adding boiled grated beetroot or sprouted moong or boiled spinach
- Use peanut butter or hung curd instead of mayonnaise on multigrain bread
- Try making soya cutlet or beetroot cutlet in an air fryer to make your child’s favourite burger.
- Add vegetables like beans, carrots, peanuts and dry fruits like, raisins etc. to traditional upma/ poha / daliya.
- Add oats / Ragi powder while preparing the idli / dosa/ uttapam batter
- Fingers food like energy bars can be prepared at home using oats, honey, flaxseeds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, raisins, dates etc.
- Dry fruit chikki or Til laddo, Ragi ladoo must be substituted for chocolates.
- Chapatti roll with stuffed paneer or chicken kheema or egg omelette is a quick item if the pre-preparation is done in advance.
Providing smart tiffin’s to school going children have a great impact on their health as they grow and eventually lead to a disease-free healthy adult. Smart tiffin’s hee hai right choice mummy!
The author of this article is Secretary, IDA Mumbai Chapter