Nipah virus: Kerala withdraws travel advisory

The Kerala government has lifted the travel advisory it had issued in the wake of the outbreak of deadly Nipah virus last month, that has claimed 17 lives so far. Health secretary Rajeev Sadanandan said in a statement here that it was now safe to travel to any part of the state

Kerala government

Kerala government has withdrawn travel advisory that it had issued on May 22 and 25 in view of Nipah virus. The travel advisory had asked people to avoid the districts of Kozhikode, Malappuram, Wayanad and Kannur. This has now been retracted.

Additional Chief Secretary of State Health and Family Welfare Department, Rajeev Sadanandan, issued a circular on Monday and the letter states that it is now safe to travel to Kerala.

A letter issued by health and family welfare government of Kerala, said, “Consequent to cases of infection of Nipah virus being detected in Kerala we had issued health advisory on 22nd and 25th May 2018 for person’s travelling to Kerala. No new cases of infection have been reported in Kerala for the last 21 days. Since this is more than the longest recorded incubation period of the virus, we consider the Nipah outbreak to be over in Kerala.”

IMG_0973

It further mentions, “Therefore our health advisories regarding travelling to Kerala stands withdrawn. It is now safe to travel to any part of Kerala.”

Nipah virus, an infectious disease, has brought world’s attention. After the outbreak in south India, it has taken at least 16 lives.