Nashik: Doctors remove 72 coins from man’s stomach

We have heard that a person swallows the coin by mistake and gets it removed by the doctor. But, you will be shocked to know that a 50-year-old man from Nashik, swallowed approximately 72 coins, on his own. Even, the doctors who treated him at Krishna Hospital and Critical Care Centre, Nashik, were stunned on witnessing it

IMG_3844

50-year-old, Akshay Pandit, (name changed), complained of stomach ache and was admitted to Krishna Hospital and Critical Care Centre, Nashik. After which, doctors took his x-ray and examined him with an endoscope. But, what doctors found inside him shocked them. As, instead of food, coins, nails and stones, were found inside his stomach.

Dr Amit Kele, a General and Laparoscopic Surgeon and Endoscopist at Krishna Hospital and Critical Care Centre, Nashik
Dr Amit Kele, a General and Laparoscopic Surgeon and Endoscopist at Krishna Hospital and Critical Care Centre, Nashik

Dr Amit Kele, a General and Laparoscopic Surgeon and Endoscopist at Krishna Hospital and Critical Care Centre, Nashik, said, “The patient is mentally unstable due to which he swallowed coins. We have removed approximately 72 coins from his stomach with the help of endoscopy.”

The coins swallowed by him were stuck in his small intestine. Since three years, Pandit was vomiting and faced indigestion problems. Owing to which, he was on a liquid diet. After three hours, the coins and nails were removed with the help of endoscopy, by the doctors.

Dr Amit Kele further said, “This surgery was challenging. Metalophrezia (a mental disorder in which a person tends to swallow coins) which is rare. Though, Pandit is fine now and will be discharged on Saturday.”

Speaking about this, Dr Sagar Mundada Practicing psychiatrist based in Mumbai, said, “Metalophrezia is a rare condition, in which a person tends to swallow coins and nails. So, a patient should be counselled, evaluated and treated properly.”