Nagpur: Doctor removes a toy battery from a 4-year-old’s stomach

The incident occurred last week when a 4-year-old boy, from Yavatmal, Maharashtra, accidentally swallowed a toy battery. Though the doctors removed the battery, the reaction has caused an ulcer, and a hole has been developed in his esophagus. Doctors say his condition has stable

3Anand_Rathod

  • A 4-year-old boy from Yavatmal, Maharashtra, accidentally swallowed a toy battery.
  • The battery was stuck in the esophagus for over a week. Due to which, an ulcer developed inside the esophagus. 
  • The doctors removed the battery, however, the infection has developed a small hole inside his esophagus. 

Anand Rathod, a 4-year-old boy, was suffering from breathlessness was immediately taken to the hospital by his parents. Subsequently, after doctors advise, he was rushed to Nagpur Medical Super Speciality Hospital for treatment.

Anand had accidentally swallowed a battery of a toy with which he was playing. When he was rushed to the hospital, after the preliminary examination, doctors decided to do an endoscopy to remove the battery logged inside his esophagus.

While speaking to My Medical Mantra, Gastroenterologist, Prof Dr Sudhir Gupta said, “The boy had come to the hospital four days ago. After the initial examination, it was revealed that he swallowed a big battery, which stuck in his esophagus. As he is small, the size of the esophagus was also small. However, the size of the battery was big. It was a challenging task for us to remove it.”

Dr Gupta added, “With the help of endoscopy, we removed the battery. Unfortunately, as the battery stayed in the esophagus for a long time, a small hole has been developed inside the esophagus. The boy’s condition is fine, however, he will stay in the hospital for the next 4-5 days. We will discharge him after evaluating his progress.”

Similar cases in the past    

  • July 13, 2017,  a toddler from Mumbai accidentally swallowed a pendant and was operated in Mumbai’s Cooper hospital 
  • November 25, 2017, an 11-month-old swallowed a safety-pin, which got stuck in the esophagus   
  • September 6, 2018, one-and-half-year-old girl from Virar swallowed a seed of a custard apple.