465 cases of dengue-like illnesses were admitted in August 2019 as compared to 2,317 in August 2018. Incidence of dengue, leptospirosis, malaria and gastroenteritis is less compared to previous year cases.
Less cases of leptospirosis were reported in the current year despite of multiple situations of flooding in Mumbai. This attributable to 3 rounds of surveys carried out in slum and slum areas and distribution of capsules Doxycycline to adults and tablets of Azithromycin to pregnant women and children for prophylaxis of leptospirosis.
MCGM Health Department Action Plan to maintain control over incidence of cases is as follows:
- Early diagnosis and complete treatment.
- Community awareness regarding signs and symptoms, care to be taken Do’s and Don’ts etc. is carried out by the IEC Department of MCGM with the help of posters, pamphlets, newspaper ads, social media, etc. for general population
- Prompt analysis of reports and management guidelines by EIPD department.
- Active surveillance, treatment measures, preventive actions, prompt referrals at community and health institute level.
Advisory for prevention of monsoon-related diseases:
- As number of dengue cases might rise in Mid-August to September all precautions must be taken to prevent breeding of mosquitoes. Like use of bed nets, window screens, wearing complete clothing etc.
- Prevent larva breeding by keeping the premises and surrounding areas clean; clearing the odd articles such as tins, thermocol boxes, coconut shells, tyres, unused articles etc.
- Maintain good personal hygiene washing hands after use of toilets and before cooking and eating
- Wash green leafy vegetables thoroughly.
- Consume home-made cooked food only. Avoid all outside food sold on footpaths.
- Avoid wading in stagnant water. If it is unavoidable use gumboots.
- Keep the surrounding clean and avoid indiscriminate disposal of garbage which may attract rodents who are one of the main reservoirs of leptospirosis. Vaccinate your pet dogs against leptospirosis.
- On occurrence of symptoms like fever with chills, vomiting, diarrhoea, cold, sore throat, cough, jaundice , myalgia take treatment with medical advice immediately. Do not take self-medication.