The city also witnessed 19 cases of leptospirosis this month. The number of deaths due to leptospirosis was one, while dengue also claimed one life.
As per the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) report on monsoon-related diseases:
|Diseases||September 2017||September 2018 (Till 16 September)|
2,322 cases of dengue like illnesses were admitted from September 01 to September 16. One case of cholera was recorded from M-East ward (Govandi).
- The mainstay of dengue prevention is mosquito control.
- Seek immediate medical help if you have fever. Do not self-medicate.
- Immediately inform your doctor if you have symptoms such as difficulty in breathing, vomiting, abdominal pain, yellow discolouration of skin or eyes, bleeding from nose or mouth, rash on the body etc.
- Drink plenty of oral liquids and take enough rest.
- Wear clothes that cover arms and legs to prevent mosquito bites.
- Use mosquito nets/ insect repellent to keep away mosquitoes.
- Keep the premises and surrounding areas clean; clear the odd articles such as tins, thermocol boxes, coconut shells, tyres, unused articles, etc.
- The last few years data show that dengue cases start rising from September onwards as the climatic conditions are more suitable for breeding of aedes mosquitoes, hence citizens are advised to be alert and take preventive measures.