This could become the first case, where leptospirosis has claimed the life of a person during on-going monsoon season
The monsoon in Mumbai has now already set. For the month of June, the island city has witnessed the second highest rainfall in the past 10 years.
But apart from this Mumbai, has witnessed its first suspected death due to leptospirosis. According to sources, a middle-aged man has died in Mumbai’s civic-run Sion hospital on Monday evening, June 25.
While speaking to My Medical Mantra, Dr Padmaja Keskar, Executive Health Officer of the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation said, “A man is suspected to have died due to leptospirosis in Mumbai’s civic-run Sion Hospital. Health officers will be conducting a meeting on this issue. Only then, we can come to the final conclusion.”
BMC’s guidelines prepared after the 2005 Mumbai deluge mention antibiotics such as a single dose of 200mg of doxycycline or azithromycin.
The medicines, which should ideally be taken within 72 hours of exposure, will be distributed for free at BMC’s dispensaries and hospitals.
Leptospirosis usually strikes seven to 12 days after a person wades through contaminated water.
Since the last three days, stormy monsoon rains has lashed Mumbai. There were incidents of waterlogged streets, which forced Mumbaikars to wade their way through contaminated water. Leptospirosis is a water-borne disease. So, we must ensure that we take preventive measures to safeguard our health.
What are the symptoms of leptospirosis?
- Headache and fever
- Chills and muscle pain
- Organ failure
- Internal bleeding
Tips to prevent the infections:
- Wash your feet and scrub them thoroughly, use plenty of soap and dry fully.
- People with foot ulcers/wounds/diabetic foot infections/shoe bites that have walked through flooded waters, must visit their doctors even if they have a slight fever.
- Those facing exhaustion and muscle cramps should take maximum rest and warm fluids. Don’t rush to work.
- Please watch the water you drink post-rains. Drinking boiled water is the best option.
- Keep your skin, especially skin folds dry.