- From April 2017 to March 2018, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has taken stern actions against 410 retail and wholesale chemist shops in Mumbai.
- Of which, FDA has suspended the licenses of 208 retail drug shops and has revoked licenses of 38 chemists over the violation of government’s order.
- While 81 wholesale drug dealers, in the city, have lost their license, licenses of 83 drug dealers have been suspended.
In order to enforce stringent norms on the safety front, the Maharashtra Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has taken stern steps against the drug dealers. The FDA officers have said that the licenses have been revoked or suspended due to various violations.
According to the FDA officers,
- Few drug dealers were found to give medicines without prescriptions.
- No pharmacy in the chemist shops to disburse medicines.
- Sale of schedule ‘H’ drugs without a proper prescriptions.
While speaking to My Medical Mantra, the Joint Commissioner FDA (Drugs), Arjun Khadtare, said, “FDA takes necessary action against the chemist shops that have been violating the law. Till now, in the past one year, we have taken action against 410 chemist shops. During our inspection, we found that chemist shops were not generating bills, they were giving the schedule ‘H’ drugs without the prescription.”
He further said, “Along with the chemists, we have also taken action against 5 allopathy medicines manufacturing units. With this, we have suspended the licenses of 7 manufacturers of cosmetic products. We have also revoked the license of one cosmetics producer and one homeopathy medicine manufacturer. Out of 746 samples which had been seized, two were found to be bogus.”