Mumbai: Doctors save 54-yr-old cardiac arrest patient in the nick of time

The patient suffered a massive cardiac arrest, her health condition was critical when she was brought into the hospital, the woman was successfully saved by the medical response team at the emergency department at Fortis Hospital

Patient-Santoshi Kumawat

Santoshi Kumawat, a 54-year-old woman, was admitted at a private hospital in Ghatkopar, where she underwent a hysterectomy on July 05. Two days post the procedure; Santoshi started experiencing shortness of breath, her blood pressure and oxygen levels dropped considerably.

Doctors at the private hospital reached out to the emergency department helpline at Fortis Hospital, Mulund, after which the emergency response team rushed to the hospital and transported Santoshi to the emergency department at Fortis Hospital, Mulund, in an advanced life support ambulance.

The patient was brought in in a very critical state; her blood pressure and oxygen levels could not be recorded. With commencement of emergency management, Santoshi was immediately intubated and a CT Pulmonary Angiogram (CTPA) was conducted as doctors suspected her to have had massive pulmonary embolism.

Post evaluation it was confirmed that she was indeed suffering from a massive bilateral pulmonary embolism (where both arteries in the Lungs get blocked due to a blood clot).

While emergency treatment was being provided, the patient experienced cardiac arrest; Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) was immediately performed; while CPR was on-going, thrombolysis was done to dissolve the clot.

Emergency care was provided by team of doctors and nurses, led by Dr Sandeep Gore, Consultant and HOD, Emergency Medicine at Fortis Hospital.

The patient was successfully revived and her blood pressure and oxygen levels improved after which, the patient stabilised and was subsequently shifted to the ICU, and after few days to the ward for further care.

Speaking about the case, Dr Sandeep Gore, Consultant and HOD-Emergency Medicine at Fortis Hospital, Mulund, said, “In cases such as this, cardiac arrest is caused because of pulmonary embolism, here the mortality rates stand at a staggering 95 per cent. With right diagnosis interventions, (administration of thrombolysis with on-going CPR, we were able to save the patient. The patient has had a speedy recovery, and has been discharged. She has been advised to follow-up in the next few weeks”.

Talking about the treatment, Chandu Kumawat, the son of the patient said, “We had lost hope, thinking that it won’t be possible to get our mother back. It is nothing short of a miracle for us to see our mother; this became possible due to the aid received at the hospital. We are forever indebted to the doctors and nurses. She is recovering and has been advised to continue with regular exercise.”