Mumbai: Doctors remove custard apple seed lodged in infant’s windpipe

Ovi was brought to Mumbai’s civic-run KEM hospital on Thursday. The doctors removed the seed with the help of telescope and attached forceps, which is the latest technology

Baby-eating-food-mr-696x443

  • A one-and-half-year-old girl Ovi, hailing from Virar, Maharashtra, had accidentally swallowed a custard apple seed.
  • The girl was rushed to Mumbai’s civic-run KEM Hospital by her parents on Thursday morning.
  • The seed got stuck in her left windpipe, due to which her left lung had collapsed.

The doctors managed to remove the seed with the help of telescope and attached forceps, the latest technology.

When a parent visits a doctor with their infant, the doctor always advises keeping small objects away from the child’s reach. We regularly read cases where the child swallows a coin or a button cell.

On Thursday, the doctors from Mumbai’s civic-run KEM hospital were on their toes. A one-and-half-year-old girl Ovi, hailing from Virar, Maharashtra, was rushed to the hospital by her parents. Ovi accidentally swallowed a custard apple seed.

5574a79b-f939-4982-825a-e603bfcbb995

While speaking to My Medical Mantra, Dr Neelam Sathe, Head of the ENT department, said, “Ovi’s mother gave her custard apple on Wednesday evening. While having it, she vomited and then accidentally swallowed the seed. The seed got stuck in her windpipe. Owing to which her left lung collapsed and she suffered from breathlessness.”

Dr Sathe further added, “She was choking, and we could hear a heavy sound from her chest. We immediately performed bronchoscopy on her. However, the seed didn’t come out. So, we removed the seed with the telescope and attached forceps, which is the latest technology.”

After the procedure, Ovi is now stable and recovering. The doctors completed the surgery within a minute.

Dr Sathe further added, “In few cases like this, the object gets stuck in the middle of the windpipe, which can be life-threatening. Therefore, parents should be aware of what they are giving to their children, especially infants.”