Mumbai doctor performs radio surgery in just 23 minutes

Dr Shankar Vangipuram, head of department, Radiation oncology services HCG Cancer centre, claims to perform radio surgery in just 23 minutes, which otherwise requires 90 minutes. He also adds that it is India’s first radio surgery which is conducted in such a short span of time

 

b09e1cd8-3b87-4a56-9f41-71dfe2603d15

Ibrahim Khan, an 83-year-old senior citizen, was treated with radio surgery in just 23 minutes. Two years ago, Khan was diagnosed with Trigeminal neuralgia (a chronic pain condition that affects the trigeminal nerve, which carries sensation from your face to your brain. If you have trigeminal neuralgia, even mild stimulation of your face — such as from brushing your teeth or putting on makeup — may trigger a jolt of excruciating pain).

According to the doctor’s claim, for the first time in India, the radio surgery was conducted in such a short span of time.

Spekaing to My Medical Mantra, Dr Shankar Vangipuram, head of department, Radiation oncology services HCG Cancer centre said, “Episodes of severe, shooting or jabbing pain that may feel like an electric shock. After examination, through laser the radio surgery was done. The surgery was done at a record time of just 23.7 minutes. Normally, it takes 90 minutes for this surgery. “

He added, “Trigeminal neuralgia disease is life-threatening.  Constant aching or burning feeling may occur before it evolves into the spasm-like pain of trigeminal neuralgia. Due to the lack of awareness, patients do not seek medical help. Since, patient consults a lot of doctors; this disease tends to become severe.”

Afrun Pathan, Khan’s daughter informed, “Since many years, my father was suffering from this disease. Even the treatment from the local doctors didn’t help.  After which, we approached Dr Vangipuram. My father is fine now.”

Speaking to My Medical Mantra, Dr Ashwinikumar Patil, assistant professor of neurology, KEM Hospital   said, “90 per cent patients who come for the treatment get cured with surgery. The remaining 10 per cent require surgery. After which, radio surgery is the only option.  Awareness should be created as there is no awareness regarding this disease.”

Trigeminal neuralgia:

  • Develops after the age of 50
  • Women experience it after their menopause
  • Constant aching, burning feeling that may occur before it evolves into the spasm-like pain of trigeminal neuralgia
  • It can cause due to infection