- As many as 35,358 women underwent medical termination of pregnancy procedure in Mumbai in the year 2017-18.
- Of which, nineteen women lost their lives while undergoing the procedure
- All these women were between the age of 19 and 35
- Abortion cases in Mumbai have seen a marginal increase in 2017-18, compared to 2016-17.
The RTI stated,
- As many as 486 women, who underwent a medical termination of pregnancy, were between the age of 15 and 19
- Between the age of 20 and 24 years, as many as 6348 women have medically terminated the fetus.
- Thirteen women, between the age of 19 and 25 lost their lives while abortion procedure
- Six women between the age of 26 and 36 have died while undergoing the procedure
While speaking to My Medical Mantra, an RTI activist Chetan Kothari, said, “The information was obtained from the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation. The data states that the 19 women have died, but the deaths are not directly connected to abortion.”
In the year 2017-18, as many as 34,790 women have undergone the medical termination of pregnancy, and nineteen women lost their lives. While in 2016-17, three women died while undergoing an abortion.
While speaking to My Medical Mantra, Dr Sushma Deshmukh, a practicing gynecologist, said, “One cannot blame the doctor as there are various factors which are associated with the deaths. Every doctor takes the utmost care of the patients. So, we have to understand the reason behind the deaths first. Among all, few women are suffering from diabetes and hypertension. So, these women must take care of their health as well. ”