According to data released by BMC on monsoon related illnesses in July 2018:
- Cases of leptospirosis have been on a rise this year, when compared with July 2017.
- Cases of gastro have also increased. While cases of malaria and hepatitis have declined.
- There were no cases of swine flu detected, this month.
- 995 suspected dengue cases have been recorded
|Diseases||July 2017||July 2018|
Speaking to My Medical Mantra, Dr Padmaja Keskar, Executive Health Officer, BMC, said, “In July, 5 leptospirosis deaths were witnessed in civi-run hospitals. In July 2017, 59 cases of leptospirosis were detected and 97 cases were detected this year. This includes 33 patients from 15-29 age group.”
BMC Advisory for prevention of leptospirosis
- Avoid walking through water especially if you have a wound on the legs.
- Wash hands and legs thoroughly if you have walked through water.
- With onset of fever, take immediate medical advice, do not self-medicate.