The Union Health Minister and Girish Mahajan discussed various issues pertaining to medical education and increasing the health infrastructure in Maharashtra.
The Union Health Minister has in-principle approval the demands raised by the Maharashtra government in the meeting.
Soon, undergraduate medical seats (MBBS) in Maharashtra are set to increase. The Union Health Ministry has given in-principal approval to increase the medical seats by 3,670. These sets will be bifurcated – 2,020 seats will be reserved for students from Economically Weaker Sections. And 1,650 seats will be reserved for students from Socially and Educationally Backward Classes.
This is a very beneficial decision which will help improve the numbers of doctors in Maharashtra.
Maharashtra’s Medical Education Minister Girish Mahajan met Union Health Minister in Delhi and apprised Dr Harsh Vardhan about the need of increasing the MBBS seats.
Another reason to cheer about for the students is that soon the government will set up seven new medical colleges. This will help cater to the student’s needs and also improve the health infrastructure of Maharashtra.
Demands raised by Maharashtra government which has got in-principal approval:
- Increasing 3,670 MBBS seats in Maharashtra.
- Establishment of seven new government medical colleges.
- Setting up a Nation Cancer Institute in Jalgaon.
- Setting up of a Regional Institute of Paramedical Sciences in Nagpur
- Setting up a ‘Centre for Excellence’ to deal with Sickle Cell disease in Nagpur Government Medical College, with the help of Indian Council of Medical Research
- Effective implementation of Ayushman Bharat Scheme in Maharashtra
- Monitor aid for setting up the NICU units in government medical colleges
While speaking to My Medical Mantra, Medical Education Minister, Girish Majahan said, “The Union Health Minister has given an in-principle approval to increase the MBBS seats in Maharashtra. This will surely benefit thousands of students who want to pursue medical education.”
“The efforts of Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis have yielded results. As a state government, we are always committed to work for the betterment and providing quality of healthcare to the people,” he added.