Man accidentally swallows toothbrush while cleaning throat

In an interesting turn of events, a 36-year-old resident of Delhi accidentally swallowed a 12-cm-long toothbrush while cleaning his throat on the advice of an unqualified healer. The toothbrush was later retrieved by AIIMS doctors

toothbrush

The patient was a 36-year-old man named Avid. The Delhi resident swallowed the toothbrush on the night of December 08 while cleaning his throat. He did not tell anyone about it immediately.

He complained of stomach ache only the next day and was taken to a hospital. Even there, Avid did not tell doctors about accidentally swallowing the toothbrush.

Only a CT scan of his abdomen revealed a foreign object in his body. It was then that Avid revealed about swallowing the toothbrush.

He was then referred to AIIMS for an endoscopy. Doctors found that the toothbrush was still stuck in Avid’s abdomen without having ruptured or make any holes in his internal organs.

The 12-cm-long toothbrush was removed from Avid’s upper abdomen on December 10 by performing an endoscopy.

Speaking about the incident, Dr Praveen Aggarwal, head of the department of emergency medicine at AIIMS, said, “Often while cleaning the tongue, people have a tendency to put the toothbrush deep into the throat to clean it better. A better option would be to do it with tongue cleaner.”

 

Also Read :- Accidentally swallowed denture lands senior citizen in hospital