- The Maharashtra government has set up a committee to take proper measures to implement the PCPNDT Act in the state
- The president of the Maharashtra Women Commission will be the chairman of the committee. The committee will have 15 members
- The committee will check the sonography and the genetic counselling centres. And if the committee spots any error then they can direct the concern officers to seal the machine
The Public Health Department of Maharashtra has issued a government resolution, on July 03.
While speaking to My Medical Mantra, Varsha Deshpande, a crusader, who works extensively to curb the female foeticide in Maharashtra, said, “We had been demanding the restructuring of the committee for a long time. I was a committee member earlier as well. But, our demand was that the committee should be headed by the president of Maharashtra Women Commission. The government has now set-up a new committee.”
The scope of work for the committee would be to:
- Check the sonography and genetic counselling centres.
- To make sure that the PCPNDT Act 2003 is being implemented properly in the state.
If the committee spots any error then they can direct the concern officers to seal the machine.
If in case there are errors in implementing the PCPNDT Act strictly, then, the committee will recommend the immediate action to the supervisory board and the government.