Know what the doctor MPs opine about NMC Bill

There has been a tussle between government and the doctors regarding the National Medical Commission (NMC) Bill. The NMC bill isn’t a good one according to the doctors and the Indian Medical Association (IMA) has strongly been opposing it. As per them, the Bill is anti-poor, anti-people, non-representative, undemocratic and anti-federal in character. Therefore, the Indian Medical Association (IMA) observed a nationwide strike on January 2. My Medical Mantra tried to decode the perspective of the doctor MPs

Medical-Bill

  • If the demands are not granted, the doctors will go on an indefinite strike. They will also launch a surgical strike.
  • The reaction on the NMC Bill could be seen in the Lok Sabha as the doctor MPs express their wrath towards the government. The BJP-Shiv Sena MPs opposed the NMC Bill.

Speaking to My Medical Mantra, Dr Shrikant Shinde, Shiv Sena MP who is also the member of the health and family welfare committee said:

  • “The government has appointed 20 members in the National Medical Commission and it will have only five doctors.
  • There should not be other members in place of the doctors and more doctors should be included.
  • It proposes a Bridge course for AYUSH doctors, but who will be responsible if the patient’s life is in danger?
  • Due to this bill, no right will be there with the State Medical Council. As the Central Commission will have all the rights.
  • It will invite corruption and injustice on students. The bill propses Exit exam to practice after MBBS. Again appearing for an exam after the MBBS is wrong.”

Dr Heena Gavit, BJP MP and the member of Central Health and Family Welfare Committee said:

  • I oppose the NMC Bill over 2 to 3 points.
  • Government will control only 40 per cent fees of medical students. The remaining 60 per cent will be decided by the private colleges.
  • The students will take admission after appearing the National Eligibility Cum Entrance Test (NEET).
  • Who will decide about the 40 per cent and the 60 per cent?
  • This is an injustice towards the students who belong to the economically weaker section of the society.
  • The admission should be based on the student’s merit.
  • The government should be transparent regarding the cross pathy.
  • There is a question arising about the doctors who have returned from aboard after taking education there.

Dr Sanjay Jaiswal, BJP Lok Sabha MP said:

  • There are two important points to be discussed in the standing committee.
  • One exam for MBBS and another exam for practicing. No other professionals have to appear exam like this after holding a degree.
  • Talking about the AYUSH doctors practising allopthay: I am aware that there are good Ayurveda colleges but who will regulate them? Few homeopathy and Siddha colleges are run from the cow sheds. If such doctors practice allopathy then the Ayurveda colleges will shut in few years.