The kidneys play a vital role in the functioning of our body as they act as a filter and strain out waste products which are harmful to the system. They also help in maintaining blood pressure and in the production of red cells, which are crucial for our body to function normally.
The monsoons bring joy and relief from the scorching heat, but at the same time, it brings along infectious diseases. It is the best time for micro-organisms to grow, cause damage, and destroy our cells.
It is important to safeguard ourselves from the rage of diseases during monsoon. With an indefinite increase of various ailments during the season, the two causes include contaminated water and food and mosquitos.
Puddles can be an appropriate place for mosquitos to breed; disease like malaria, leptospirosis, dengue, typhoid, gastroenteritis, hepatitis A, and E are prime examples. It could lead to renal inflammation, which may further lead to kidney failure.
Here are a few precautions that one must take to ensure overall health, and avoid kidney infection during this season:
- Clean surroundings help to keep unwanted micro-organisms at bay. It is advisable to keep the most touched/used surfaces cleaned regularly.
- Drinking water should be boiled or filtered before consumption. It is advisable to follow these steps before drinking as it the most common source of infection during the rainy season.
- Food prepared outside your home may be not of superior quality. They may use contaminated water and other ingredients posing a risk to your health. It is advisable to eat fresh and home-cooked food for staying disease-free.
- Hands are the common sources of infections, and thus it is vital to wash hands properly; especially, when you begin and end your meals
- Our electronic gadgets may also carry harmful micro-organisms and should be cleaned at regular intervals. This will reduce the risk of transmission of infections
- Ensure that you are eating freshly cut fruits as pre-cut fruits pose a risk of accruing micro-organisms. It is advisable to peel fruits before consuming as the outer skin has a chance of containing germs.
- It is tempting to get wet during monsoon and fun to get dirty once in a while. However, ensure that you clean yourself as soon as you get back home. Try not to touch other things or people to avoid spreading of germs
- One should try and remove shoes outside the premises of the house to avoid infection.
- Sugar levels should be kept in control for the health of your kidneys. High glucose levels can harm your kidneys during the rainy season.