A week after the Kamala Mills Fire killed 14 people, Mumbai Fire Brigade submitted it’s investigation report. In which they mentioned the flying embers emitted from the lighted charcoal sigree which is used in hookah as a cause of fire.
Hemant Parab, deputy chief fire officer, Byculla Mumbai Fire Brigade said, “We have submitted the Kamala Mills fire investigation report today. We found fire embers as a reason behind the mishap.”
In the Mumbai Fire Brigade investigation report, copy of which is with My Medical Mantra, has revealed that Hookah was served in Mojo’s Restaurant at the time of fire and the preparatory arrangement of hookah was made at the spot near the first ignited curtains/decorative materials. It further said that at this place the stock of charred coal cubes, hookah intake pipes and stands, a pedestal fan and a coal-segree used for burning charcoal was found.
“Due to high wind velocity and open terrace area, the burning ember came in contact with the curtain cloth and flared up fire and spread rapidly. The area also had large number of combustible material which further contributed in to the wide spread of fire,” said Parab.
The report also mentions the careless disposal of lighted cigarettes. And bar tenders performing fire tricks.
On December 29, in the massive fire that broke out in Mumbai’s Kamala Mills, Lower Parel, at least 14 people lost their lives.
Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis had ordered for an immediate in-depth inquiry after which BMC commissioner had suspended 5 BMC officials.