‘I am trapped, rescue me,’ father’s frantic call to his son

Rajesh Doshi, 57, took shelter under the bed to save his life during the Mumbai building collapse. Doshi's legs were operated due to which he couldn’t run to save his life. Doshi had a phone in the pocket. But there was no network. In the evening, Doshi heaved a huge sigh of relief as he was able to make a call to his son

'I am trapped, rescue me,' father's frantic call to his son

He was trapped in the rubble for 15 hours. No food, no water nor light. Still he kept fighting due to his strong will power. And in the end, a phone call saved his life. Ghatkopar man Rajesh Doshi called his son from under the Mumbai building rubble, saying his legs were trapped.

Doshi and his family resided in Saidarshan building, which collapsed in the morning yesterday. Doshi, who was buried alive in the Ghatkopar building collapse for 15 hours, got a second lease of life. And all thanks to his mobile phone, which became his saviour.

Doshi had taken shelter under the bed to save his life, as his legs were operated and he couldn’t afford to run. Rajesh had his phone but there was no network. It was in the evening, when Rajesh made a call to his son informing about his whereabouts. “I am fine, but my legs are trapped. Save me,” said Rajesh.

NDRF and fire brigade officials started a rescue operation. Doshi was continuously in touch of the Fire Brigade officials. And finally, Doshi was rescued in the wee hours of night. He is being treated at adjoining Shantiniketan Hospital. Shantiniketan Hospital’s Dr. Praful Lokhande said, “ Doshi is fine and has suffered a minor injury on his leg. He has diabetes, so special care is been taken to avoid any kind of infections. He will be discharged within some days, after he fullu recovers”.

While speaking to My Medical Mantra, Rajesh Doshi’s son Darshan said, “After Father’s call, I thought he was out of the building. But I was shocked to hear that he was under the rubble. He was successfully pulled out because of police, Fire Brigade officials and NDRF soldiers.

Rajesh Doshi’s relative, Dharmendar Thakur said, “Doshi called and informed about his safety and co-operated with the police during the rescue operation. He was found and pulled out of the rubble around 1:00pm in the night.  He is fine now”.

It was not only  Doshi, many other trapped residents called up their family members from inside the rubble. Another resident Lalchand Ramchandani’s wife Geeta was at home during the dreadful incident. She is suffering from a spine injury and she is being treated at Rajawadi Hospital.