‘He’ swallowed tooth while eating vada pav

An extraction means to have a tooth removed, usually because of disease, trauma or crowding. And the process can be painful. But this 77-year-old from Mumbai, experienced stomach pain after he ‘accidentally’ swallowed his tooth

‘He’ swallowed tooth while eating vada pav

  • We all have heard about the incident of swallowing coins accidentally.
  • But you will be shocked to know that a man accidentally swallowed his dentured tooth while having vada pav after which he underwent esophagousoscopy.

Ram Kuber visited city’s JJ group of Hospitals complaining of unbearable stomach pain. In a shocking revelation he said that he swallowed his tooth while having food. A general inspection led to a conclusion that something was stuck in the stomach that needed to be operated.

“We found that a tooth was present inside his stomach. Luckily for him, there weren’t any cuts or perforations due to the tooth. It was a dentured tooth,” said Dr Shrinivas Chavan, Professor and HOD ENT department at Sir JJ Group of Hospitals.

‘He’ swallowed tooth while eating vada pav
Ram Kuber

On Friday, Kuber had swollen his tooth while he was having vada pav, after which he came to the emergency department to undergo an esophagousoscopy. A pipe was inserted in his stomach and then he was operated.

“Many a times, when the dentures are fixed, with time it tends to loosen up. People should regularly go for dental check-ups to avoid such mishaps,” added Dr Chavan.

‘He’ swallowed tooth while eating vada pav

Currently, Kuber is admitted in the hospital and will be on feeding tube for 10 days after which he can eat using his mouth.

‘He’ swallowed tooth while eating vada pav

He added, “Feeding tube is a precautionary measure to be sure that no other part of the body while swallowing has been damaged.”