On July 09, the state government has passed the Government Resolution (GR) to implement the Senior Citizen Policy in the state. Each department has given a pre-designed role in order to take care of the senior citizen.
Things to be done under the Senior Citizen Policy
- Five per cent beds should be reserved for the senior citizens in the hospitals attached to the government medical colleges in the state.
- The Public Health Department appeal to the Trusts and the NGO’s to help the senior citizens.
- Prevention and early diagnosis scheme to be worked out. Health camps to be organised check-up camps
- Senior citizens will be made aware of the health-related programmes. A number of Mental Health services should be increased.
- Preference to be given to senior citizens in government hospitals, wherever possible
- Timings of the counselling centers should to be fixed for the senior citizens
- Encourage the NGO’s to provide ambulance and health services to the senior citizens
- Appeal to the private, trust hospitals to provide 50% concession to the senior citizens above 60 years of age
- Urge the private doctors to give concession to senior citizens in consulting fees
- Appoint specialised doctors and health workers to provide mental health counselling and services to the senior citizens
- Senior Citizen Health should be included in public health programme
- Free dialysis centers should be set up with the help of the NGO’s for the senior citizens
While speaking to My Medical Mantra, Prakash Borgonkar, Director of the Help-age India, said, “We appreciate the government’s efforts to help the senior citizens. In old age, people suffer from lots of health ailments. The state government has now taken the decision to help the old age people. We need to see in how many days the government implements the policy.”