Which is the single most important factor to maintain healthy hair?
It’s not expensive products and exotic oils, but a balanced healthy diet followed regularly. Hair needs to be nourished on daily basis. Since, everyone these days is on weight loss diets, remember that you are compromising the hair nutrition as well. Hair needs carbs, proteins, fats and also vitamins and minerals.
Does temperature of water used for hair washing affect hair?
It is advisable to use warm water for shampooing and regular or cold (not ice cold) for conditioning. For that matter also avoid using shampoo and conditioner mixed in one bottle. They have to be used separately as they serve different purpose.
Which home remedies actually work?
- Washing the hair daily and keep the scalp clean.
- Fenugreek: Fenugreek (methi) seeds are best for hair loss and dandruff. Soak overnight, ground into paste. Apply on the hair and wash after 40 minutes. The proteins in the seeds are said to strengthen hair from the roots and act as a hormone antecedent to improve hair growth.
- Indian gooseberry (amla): This green fruit, power house of vitamin C also has astonishing healing properties which prevent hair greying and thinning. Various hair masks are available which contain amla. Also, eat daily to boost health.
- Onion juice: Rubbing onion juice on the scalp may help in improving appearance of the hair, enhancing volume and add shine like a conditioner.
- Hair mask: Depending on the properties of the ingredients used, hair mask can be used once a week for hair nourishment and conditioning. Ingredients: aloe vera, fenugreek, honey, yoghurt, etc.
The author is a dermatologist and laser surgeon at Cutis Skin Studio