The final week is a crucial time for marathoners. All the tough training needs to count and therefore it is important to look after yourself and your body during this final phase.
- Take it easy.
- Run with your peer group.
- You already have got your best timing. This is not the time to better it.
- Avoid being a victim of peer pressure. Don’t try to match up with your peers’ pace at this stage. Enjoy the run.
- Keep a close watch on how the weather conditions are changing and gauge how it may be on the day of the run. Based on that, calculate the amount of fluid you will require when you run.
Do not try anything new now. It is important that the body be accustomed to whatever you are going to do on that day. If you have it on the D Day directly, there will be an electrolyte imbalance.
Don’t push yourself. If you feel tired, or any pain, ache or any symptom of some illness, which was absent during your practice sessions, seek medical assistance instantly.
Sleep well. Sleep and adequate rest are key elements as a runner, if you want to improve. Getting few early nights in race week will surely protect your immune system.
- Take in more carbohydrates and consume fruits.
- Have bananas and scoops of Glucon D. This is what gives you that instant energy.
For heart patients
- Keep monitoring your electrolytes.
- Check blood pressure, blood sugar, cholesterol, electrolytes need to be monitored.
The author is a Senior Interventional Cardiologist, Head of Dept. of Preventive Cardiology and Rehabilitation, Asian Heart Institute. He is also the Medical Director for Tata Mumbai Marathon 2018