- Thalassemia is an inherited blood disorder in which the body makes an abnormal form of haemoglobin. Haemoglobin is the protein molecule in red blood cells that carries oxygen.
- In the private hospital, one has to spend around 20, 00,000-25,00,000 for bone marrow transplantation. The poor and needy cannot afford it. So, in order to help the poor and needy acquire timely treatment, the government has taken this decision.
- The facility will be made available for the poor and needy from the month of March.
Dr Mamta Manglani, Director of Comprehensive Thalassemia Care, Pediatric Hematology-Oncology & BMT Centre said, “The BMC has made this facility available so that the people can undergo bone marrow transplantation. In thalassemia care centre, this facility is free of cost. In this procedure, Human leukocyte antigen (HLA) levels should match the donor and only then is the transplant possible ”
In thalassemia care centre:
- HLA is available which will cost 5,000
- This facility is free for people below the poverty line
- Bone marrow time period will be around 1 month
- 60 to 80 patients can take treatment per year
- 8 beds for bone marrow transplantation
- 15 beds for cancer, thalassemia patients
Speaking to My Medical Mantra, Vinay Shetty of Think Foundation said, “Poor people have no information about the bone marrow transplantation. Private hospitals charge lakhs of rupees. Owing to which, many people leave their treatment in middle. This facility was started in the Sion Hospital by Dr Mamta Manglani. Till now, 17 bone marrow surgeries have been done.”
He added, “After retirement, Dr Manglani is working with thalassemia care super specialty hospital in Borivali. For children, she has decided to make the bone marrow transplantation free of cost there. 15 children are been chosen for that. The procedure is performed on the patient, after the donor’s blood group matches with the patients. Bone marrow transplantation is an option for the thalassemia patients. Owing to which, the BMC has started this initiative. In which we are helping them”
What is a bone marrow transplant?
A bone marrow transplant is a procedure that replaces a person’s faulty bone marrow stem cells. These are used to treat diseases like leukemia, severe blood diseases, multiple myeloma or some immune deficiency diseases