Father-of-three left paralysed from nose down after eating roadside chicken curry

The 40-year-old man was left fighting for his life in an induced coma a couple of days after eating a chicken curry. David Braham became unwell with food poisoning while watching his son play rugby after the dodgy meal

david-1
David Braham, 40, became unwell after the dodgy meal ( Image courtesy: David Braham / SWNS)
  • The food poisoning unexpectedly brought on a rare autoimmune disorder called Guillian-Barré Syndrome.
  • David was left paralysed from the face down, unable to talk and breathe while on a ventilator for four months.
  • He has finally learnt to walk on his own eight months after the Chinese curry nearly cost him his life.

The former driving instructor from Bridgend, Wales, said, “I felt fine until I had the chicken curry. I just picked it up as a quick meal whilst a pupil was taking their test. I regret it. I am almost certain that’s what caused it.”

David added, “I didn’t feel quite right. That night I felt a bit dodgy and I got really ill over the weekend. I got ill really quickly. It just started with a tingling feeling.”

He was paralysed from the nose down by a rare autoimmune disorder (Image courtesy: David Braham / SWNS)
He was paralysed from the nose down by a rare autoimmune disorder (Image courtesy: David Braham / SWNS)

He has finally learnt to walk on his own eight months after the Chinese chicken curry nearly cost him his life.

He explained, “Before I knew it I was literally locked in my own body. It was absolutely terrifying. ‘It was like being a living hell. I didn’t know if I’d be able to see my kids again and I didn’t think I’d ever be able to walk again.”

He elaborated, “It was like being a living hell. I didn’t know if I’d be able to see my kids again and I didn’t think I’d ever be able to walk again.”

He further said, “It was the thought of my kids that kept me going. I have been fighting for them. I didn’t think I’d survive. I did wonder if there would ever be a way out. All I want to do is play with my kids again and be a dad again.”

David was unable to talk and breathe and ended up on a ventilator for four months (Image courtesy: David Braham / SWNS)
David was unable to talk and breathe and ended up on a ventilator for four months (Image courtesy: David Braham / SWNS)

David picked up the meal from a roadside cafe and felt poorly while watching his seven-year-old son play rugby at Liberty Stadium in Swansea in April.

He thought it was just a ‘dodgy stomach’ but his condition deteriorated and he was rushed to the Princess Wales Hospital four days later on April 10.

He was sent home with some antibiotics after a six days in hospital, but within 24 hours a tingling feeling started to spread through his body, eventually causing complete paralysis.

Back in hospital, doctors discovered he had been suffering from campylobacter, the most common cause of food poisoning.

Guillian-Barré Syndrome was triggered by the food poisoning and began to attack David’s nerve functions.

He was woken out of the coma in May and began the long and slow road to recovery.

In September, he began daily physiotherapy, occupational therapy, and weekly aquatherapy sessions.

He then took his first steps in early November.

David said, “It was like being a baby and having to learn how to do simple things again. My mind knew how to do everything but my body just wouldn’t respond.”

He was able to visit home and spend time with his children for the first time on December 8.

David now has his sights set on sitting at the dinner table on Christmas Day surrounded by his loved ones.

‘To see my kids open their Christmas presents will be the most special feeling ever,’ he added.

Source: Metro.co.uk