“I have taken a pledge, to never drink and drive. And I want everyone to join hands with me in taking this pledge.”
This pledge is taken by none other than team India’s skipper Virat Kohli. On the occasion of the Road Safety Week which is celebrated from April 23rd to 30th, Virat Kohli has posted this video of him taking a pledge on Twitter.
Virat has encouraged his fans to not drink and drive, as it isn’t just foolish to do so, but can also put yours and the lives of others at risk.
- In India, in 2016 alone more than 1.5 lakh people died in the road accidents
- With every passing day, the incidents of the road accident are increasing
- There are different reasons for the road accidents, but one of the main reasons is driving while under the influence of alcohol, due to which innocent lives are lost.
In his video team, India’s captain Virat Kohli says, “In our country, every day 19 lives are lost due to drunk driving. And yearly around 6,700 people die due to driving under the influence of alcohol. Today, I take a pledge that I will never drink and drive. And I want everyone to join hands with me in taking this pledge.”
— Virat Kohli (@imVkohli) April 26, 2018
India road accident figures
- In 2016, 4, 80,000 accidents took place
- 50 lakh people lost their lives
- Percentage of the accidental deaths raised by 3 per cent
- Every day 413 people die in road accidents overall