There has been a rise in the number of people who prefer to exercise on the weekends in the last 5 years. This is the result of rising awareness of health trends among the general population. However, the lack of time, knowledge and appropriate counselling permits people to exercise only on the weekends; such gym-goers are labelled ‘weekend warriors’. With long periods of inactivity, interspersed with excessive bursts of activity, the exercise habits of the weekend warrior don’t fit the recommended model of regular daily exercise
The fact that people are conscious of their health and want to exercise is no doubt a good mind-set; however, it is needless to say that exercising after prolonged periods of time impacts the body aversely.
Guidelines to help you stay healthy through the week:
- Ensure that you regularly do moderate exercises at least 5 times a week for 45 minutes.
- Do not pursue any specific sport only because your friend is doing it, you should assess if you have the time to train and a fit body to do it. For example, people with knee problems must avoid playing Tennis and Badminton.
- You must train properly under the guidance of a qualified professional before taking up a rigorous sport
- While working out in a gym, make sure to follow the instructions of your trainer.
- Doing it by yourself or following what you saw on social media might only cause injury.
- Do not eat junk food during the week. During working hours, one tends to not take care of when and what is eaten.
- There has to be a regular time range during which you should schedule your eating practices, especially dinner.
- Drinking lots of coffee, tea, and aerated drinks also increases the risk of obesity
Taking care of eating habits and making time for exercise during the week:
- Eating patterns can be easily managed by noting down whatever you eat and its time of consumption. You can then modulate your diet, or seek help from a dietician who can moderate the eating pattern.
- Plan your food schedule on a Sunday for the entire week; this will make sure not to skip out on any meals or rush yourself to prepare meals for the next day.
- Follow recommended fitness and nutrition apps that are now available to manage these priorities to ensure a healthier lifestyle.
- You can work out near your workplace as and when you take a short break or join a gym close by to avoid wastage of time. It is not necessary that you have to exercise in the morning; you can do it at any time.
- We should try and practice a healthier lifestyle by exercising regularly over the whole week instead of only on weekends just to run marathons or to make us feel healthy.
The author is an Orthopaedist and Joint Replacement Surgeon at Hiranandani Hospital, Vashi