Doctors remove a bead from 2-yr-old’s vocal cord, save his life

The two-year-old was facing difficulty in breathing when brought to the hospital. An immediate CT scan was done, which revealed the presence of a foreign body in his vocal cords. A bead was stuck in such a way, that a slight shift in its position might have taken his life.

Sasson-hospital-featured-image

Around a fortnight ago, the doctors from Sassoon General Hospital (SGH), Pune, successfully performed an endoscopy on a two-year-old child and removed a bead which got stuck in his vocal cord.

Sagar (name changed), the two-year-old boy was admitted to the hospital with a complaint of facing problems in breathing. His parents informed that he started coughing while having dinner, and then they brought him to the hospital.

Sagar was facing difficulty in breathing when brought to the hospital. The doctors did an immediate CT scan, which revealed the presence of a foreign body in his vocal cords. A bead (foreign body) was stuck in such a way, that a slight shift in its position may have choked him to death. Fortunately, the small hole in the bead assisted him to breathe and survive.

The objected which was lodged in the child's vocal chord
The objected which was lodged in the child’s vocal chord

Dr Samir Joshi, Head of ENT Department, SGH, who supervised the surgery, said, “It was a difficult surgery. We get four to five such cases, where the swallowing of some foreign body threatens the life of a child. Prevention is better than cure in such cases. Parents should ensure that they keep away any such objects from the reach of their children.”

Dr Sanjay Sonawane, a professor at SGH, who was part of the surgery team, said, “We had to perform an endoscopy to take the bead out of his vocal cord. As the bead was smooth, it was difficult to get hold of it and remove it. Also, if there had been some obstruction to the respiratory system, the patient might have died.”