Right from children to adults, everyone enjoy eating pani puri. But, according to a shocking report, few days ago, Naresh Sachan, a 46-year-old truck driver from Kanpur’s Ghatampur, died because of eating pani puri in a wrong way. Further, the report said that according to doctors, the puri got stuck between his foodpipe and wind pipe which was the cause of his death.
Dr Vikas Agrawal, ENT Specialist from Mumbai said, “It is not common but it is not impossible. Pani puri is big in size and the moment you keep it in the mouth. Suddenly, the whole water goes into the throat. So, if the crust of the pani puri gets stuck into the windpipe and it leads to choking. So, this could be the reason of his death.”
Dr Gautam Bhansali, consulting general physician at Bombay Hospital said, “It is rare. But, one can die if the food or liquid goes into the lungs and not in the oesophagus or the stomach, which is known as aspiration (Inhaling food into your lungs — known as aspiration). Aspiration can cause choking and coughing. So, death is possible due to aspiration.”
Rutika Murudkar, a clinical nutritionist at Naraindas Morbai Budhrani trust tells you how to eat pani puri the right way:
- Do not gulp the whole pani puri in hurry as it can get stuck in your food and wind pipe
- Avoid eating pani puri if you have a bad throat
- Chew the puri thoroughly
- Make sure the water content is more due to which the puri will become soggy and it will be helpful to chew