A simple ankle massage given by mother, leads to death of a 23-year-old Delhi man

The deceased had injured his left ankle while playing badminton on September 15 last year after which a cast was placed to immobilise the leg. The cast was removed a month later, but he had developed a clot, which ultimtely lead to his death due to the massage

A simple ankle massage given by mother, leads to death of a 23-year-old Delhi man
Image Source: Google

In an unfortunate event, a 23-year-old man, who developed deep vein thrombosis (DVT) following an ankle injury while playing badminton on September 15 last year, died after his mother massaged his leg to ease the pain.

This serves as a cautionary tale the next time you decide to get a massage done to relieve that lingering pain in a body part.

The deceased, a Delhi resident, was admitted to the hospital in September and a cast was placed to immobilise the leg. The cast was removed on October 17 and the patient was able to walk normally. Later, he complained of pain and swelling in left calf, left ankle, and foot following which tests were carried out which revealed the presence of a blood clot in the leg vein.

The case study of his death, which has been published in the latest edition of the Medico-Legal Journal, was revealed during a post-mortem carried out by AIIMS doctors.

DVT is a serious condition that occurs when a blood clot forms in a vein located deep inside one’s body. Doctors say formation of a blood clot in the deep veins after an ankle fracture is a usual occurrence, however people should be cautious against providing massages as in some cases it may prove to be fatal.

The autopsy confirmed that 5X1 cm clot got dislodged due to the massage and moved from its original place travelling up till the lungs. It caused an obstruction which choked him to death.

“When the pain recurred, his mother massaged his left calf muscles. After the massage, he had severe chest pain, breathlessness and collapsed,” said Chittaranjan Behera, Associate Professor of Forensic Medicine at AIIMS.

According to Dr Behera, the man was brought to the emergency department of AIIMS on October 31 in an unconscious state. CPR was initiated but the patient could not be revived and was declared dead.